Summer is a joyful holiday season but at the same time, no one will like the harsh sun. Exposure to the sun results in tanning the skin and also causes many skin issues like hyperpigmentation and dark spots. The harmful UV radiation strips the skin’s moisture content and eventually makes it appear dull and pale.
This scathing sun during the summer doesn’t just make us feel sweat abundantly, it also gives really harsh suntans that will make you look dull. It’s important to understand that the sun’s rays strike us with more than 6% intensity during the summers. When you move in the sun again with the tan, it will get more intense. With some care and following tan removal home remedies, you can beat the summer.
Sun rays are actually good for health but excessive exposure to the sunlight especially when it’s overhead will cause sunburn, hyperpigmentation, and even lead to other skin issues. Also, it triggers the formation of melanin which leads to skin tanning. Consuming cool, watery foods and sweets will help in calming the body.
Why does the skin turn dark?
When the UV rays strike the skin cells, it will cause skin damage. The skin’s inbuilt defence mechanism will sense it and triggers the chemicals. This signals melanocytes which are melanin making cells to produce more melanin that protects the skin from further damage. More melanin production will make your skin look darker but protects the skin from severe damage and skin cancer.
So, even though you don’t like to look dark due to melanin production, it’s actually protecting you. But if you wish to make yourself look bright, then you can use remedies for tan removal at home for better results. These home remedies to beat summer tan are highly effective and will give you better results with regular use.
Best home remedies to beat summer tan:
- Aloe vera – In Ayurveda, aloe vera has a special significance. Aloe vera gel will work wonders on the skin. It’s especially beneficial in healing skin tissues, superficial wounds, sunburns, mild cuts, skin tanning and insect stings. Application of the aloe vera gel products the “Metallothionein” in the skin which will revert the damages caused by the UV radiation. For best results, apply the gel and leave it overnight.
How to use it?
- You can get a leaf of fresh aloe vera and get the gel out of it with a spoon, knife or comb.
- Apply this to the affected area and leave it for an hour and wash it off with water.
- If you don’t have a fresh leaf, you can also use the aloe vera gel available in the market.
- Apply the right amount of aloe vera gel on the affected areas and leave it overnight.
- Do this regularly to remove sun tan and get a glowing complexion.
- Oatmeal and curd:
Oatmeal is the key ingredient in the traditional Ayurvedic which is used in the recipe of Ubtan. Oatmeal has excellent exfoliating and skin cleansing properties. Curd being rick in lactic acid will help in removing the tan. Also, it softens the skin and improves skin tone.
How to use it?
- Soak two to three teaspoons of oats or oatmeal based on your requirement in a half cup of water for about five to ten minutes.
- Now add two to three tablespoons of fresh curd to it and mix it well.
- You can also add honey if you have dry skin to make it more moisturizing.
- Mix these ingredients nicely and form a pack with them.
- Now apply this pack to your face, arm, neck, legs or any other place which is affected by sun tanning.
- Rub in a circular motion and let it say for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with water to get fresh and bright looking skin.
- Multani mitti and rose water pack:
Multani mitti or fuller’s earth is a widely used mineral-rich clay material for enhancing beauty. Since it has a lot of beauty benefits, it is nowadays widely used in skincare products. Multani mitti effectively helps in cooling the skin and soothes the sunburns. It will also help in removing suntan and makes the skin look brighter instantly.
How to use it?
- Add two teaspoons of Multani mitti and add rose water to make it a smooth paste.
- Make sure to add pure rose water for a more soothing effect.
- You can also add sandalwood water, turmeric and tomato juice to this paste for more effectiveness.
- Apply a layer of this paste on the skin tanned areas and let it dry.
- Wash it off with water after 20 minutes.
- Do this weekly once if you have dry skin or twice if you have oily to normal skin.
- Almond scrub:
How to use it?
- Create a paste of almond by grinding it with rose water.
- You can either soak the almonds the previous night or use the ones available with you.
- Make sure to grind it properly with rose water to increase its effectiveness for removing suntan.
- Apply the paste and rub in a circular motion.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and wash it off with water.
If you use these remedies for tan removal at home regularly, you can notice the required change in the complexion. Though you may have a busy schedule, make sure that you spend time on your skincare regime for effective results. Also, know that your diet also plays a major role in removing tan.
Always stay hydrated by drinking more than ten glasses of water this summer. Eat skin-friendly fruits and vegetables, juice, and smoothies that are rich in anti-oxidants. Following the proper diet and tan removal home remedies will help you get rid of suntan, hyperpigmentation, or any other skin issues due to the sun and keep the skin healthy throughout summer.