Skin allergies are generally considered as nothing more than an irritation, but they will cause discomfort and sometimes painful symptoms. These allergic skin reactions occur when the body’s immune system reacts to the allergens causing inflammation, swelling, itching, peeling, bumps or blisters, or cracking skin. Depending on the severity of the reaction, the skin allergies can be painful that require treatment.
People usually use conventional treatments with corticosteroids and antihistamines that will help in reducing the symptoms. Also, some prefer using lotions or creams to get some relief. But it’s important not to scratch the skin since it will only worsen the symptoms and cause severe infection. Though there are conventional treatments, you can also try the effective skin allergy treatment at home to get relief quickly.
These home remedies for allergies have been largely forgotten today. But know that there are effective remedies that can be used at home to get quick relief from skin allergies. These remedies are usually natural and will not cause any side effects.
What are the common causes of skin allergies?
- Certain foods like peanuts, seafood, egg, cow’s milk, nuts and so on
- Certain food additives that are added in the processed foods, bread and cereal
- Particular metals like nickel
- Antiseptic creams
- Topical contact with latex, elastic and rubber
- Insect bites of wasps or bees
- Pet hair or saliva
- Synthetic dyes and fibres
- Fragrances often used in soap, detergents, deodorant and other beauty products
- Topical contact with dust or dirt
- Plants such as poison ivy, ficus and stinging.
Top effective skin allergy treatment at home which you can try immediately:
- Cold compress – One of the easiest and fastest ways to stop the itching and pain of skin rashes is by applying cold water or ice cubes to the infected area. You can choose any type of cold compress like cool shower, damp cloth in cold water, ice cubes, using an ice pack or any other method of cold compress that will effectively help in immediate relief. It will help to stop swelling, slow the progression of the rashes and ease itching.
How to use it?
- Fill an ice bag with ice cubes or a damp cloth with cold water.
- Now place it over the skin, especially on the affected area.
- Note that you should not directly use the ice cubes on the skin.
- Place it on your skin until you feel relief from pain or itching.
- Repeat as and when required until the skin infection is reduced.
- Oatmeal – Oats has been used for centuries as the best skin allergy treatment at home. Oats can treat any skin issues from eczema to burns. There are many products available in the market which contains oatmeal since it effectively helps in treating skin issues. Colloidal oatmeal dissolved in the bath can relieve the itchiness. You can also use the regular oatmeal to treat the skin issues effectively at home by grinding it into fine powder.
How to use it?
- Fill the bathtub or a bucket with warm water.
- Mix one cup of colloidal oatmeal into the water.
- Immerse yourself in the bathtub and soak for about 30 minutes.
- Otherwise, you can take a bath with this water.
- Finally, rinse it off with a lukewarm shower.
- You can apply the oatmeal as a pack on the affected area.
- Blend the oatmeal and milk in a blender and make it into a paste.
- Now, apply this mixture to the affected area and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water. Do this twice a day to get effective results.
- Aloe vera – The aloe vera plant has been used for various centuries as one of the best home remedies for allergy and various ailments. You may be familiar with this plant since it has been used for manufacturing various skin products. In addition, aloe vera helps in wound healing since it has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. Fresh aloe vera contains many vitamins and other minerals. It also contains carbohydrates, enzymes and sterols which contributes to its anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use it?
- Its always better to use fresh aloe vera when you use it as a home remedy for skin issues.
- You can cut a leaf from the aloe vera plant and wash it thoroughly.
- Now cut it into half and scoop out the clear gel from it with a spoon, knife or comb.
- Now, apply this gel to the affected area and ensure maximum absorption.
- Use this twice a day for effective results.
- Neem – Neem leaves are considered as an excellent remedy for skin issues since it is a great source of anti-inflammatory compounds. It contains Mimbidin, Nimbin and Quercetin which contributes to its anti-inflammatory properties. Neem leaves also contain anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties which will help in reducing the further spread of skin issues.
How to use it?
- You can use neem oil on the affected areas.
- You can make a paste out of neem powder and water or grind the fresh neem leaves to make a paste.
- Now apply this paste to the affected areas and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- If you wish you can also add a pinch of turmeric powder to it to speed up the healing.
- You can also apply the fresh neem juice extracted from the leaves to get the required results.
- Tea tree oil – The tea tree oil has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains anti-microbial properties that are effective in treating various skin issues. This oil effectively works against bacterial, fungal, viral and protozoal infections on the skin.
How to use it?
- Dilute a few drops of tea tree essential oil in the carrier oil and apply directly to the skin.
- You can also mix a few drops of tea tree oil in the aloe vera gel and mix it properly.
- Now apply this mixture to the affected area and leave it on for about 30 minutes and then wash it off with water.